There are multiple barriers for rural and regional cancer patients to access services:
- The availability of quality and timely cancer care;
- Financial burden of cancer and its treatment has a disproportionate impact on patients based on their geographical location;
- Travel to receive treatments and the associated social burden;
- Opportunities in communications technology still waiting to be harnessed to improve care and patient convenience;
- Rural and regional radiotherapy centres face challenges with recruitment and retention of workforce;
- Lack of effective coordination in service planning and workforce development for rural service provision.