Policy Approaches to Radiation Oncology
Policy approaches to ensure that national demand for radiation oncology services is met should be:
- Prospectively planned, coordinated nationally to effectively use resources and provide access for all patients;
- Differentiated to distinguish the different radiotherapy techniques and tumour streams, providing targeted approaches;
- Integrated across service providers, jurisdictions and medical disciplines and aligned with the National cancer reform directions to address silos in the system;
- Innovative to take advantage of technological and organisational developments internationally and between disciplines;
- Focused on quality across all domains including patient access, health outcomes, data, service provision and survivorship and
- Patient centred with consumer involvement at all levels of decision-making.