World class research is part of the core business of radiation oncology services.
Australia is an international leader in radiation oncology research that improves patient outcomes:
- Local research that results in evidence based and timely implementation of new treatment techniques and technologies;
- Increased funding allocation to radiation oncology research that is commensurate with its contribution to cancer control;
- Dedicated radiation oncology research equipment and staff time are included into national service planning;
- Access to clinical radiation oncology equipment time for (translational and implementation) research is factored into facility service planning;
- Integration of radiation oncology treatments into comprehensive electronic medical records (EMR);
- Research is recognised as part of core business for all radiotherapy facilities;
- Multidisciplinary research teams are established, incorporating discovery, translational and implementation research.